Yahoo! Avatars

Monday, June 21, 2010

Thing #5, Hatching our own ducks at Gray!

There is a catch & release pond with ducks, and at least 2 sets of baby ducks, next door to the Balch Springs Public Library - walking distance from Gray. I just found a Texas A&M resource for hatching baby ducks in the classroom. http://www.backyardchickens.com/media/b-5084.pdf This gives information on how to get started from "scratch". I am going to look into this. I think the students, and me too, would love this! Plus I could share portions of the duck blog that exists with my students as an example for them, and me, to follow as we set up our own duck diaries. Here is another useful website from another 3rd grade classroom that hatched chicken and goose eggs: http://www.plrd.ab.ca/sites/hps/classrooms/gordon/egg.htm.

I think the reader is pretty cool. It will save a lot of search time because I can go to one place to get lots of information that I routinely look up.

2 comments:

  1. That would be so cool. You'll have to let me know when baby ducks arrive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pam, I love this idea! Also, what a great way of taking a "field trip" and you don't have to worry about the bus and all the other field trip headaches.
    Our Gray students would love hatching ducklings and what a great blogging opportunity. I can't wait to read all about it.

    ReplyDelete